Remember the Beacon Drive-In?
The Beacon Drive-In at 503 West Center Street held its grand opening in January 1954. Over 2,000 guests were treated to barbequed ham, coleslaw and hush puppies cooked in the barbeque pit. The Beacon boasted the most modern and largest barbeque pit in the south.
The restaurant was owned by Bill Harrell, the original owner of the Texas Steer. Mr. and Mrs. William P. Majors purchased the restaurant in 1955.