The Sanitary Barber Shop, located on Broad Street, was owned and operated by B.B. Sullivan. From left are G.R. Walsh, L.L. Powell and B.B. Sullivan. The shop opened in the summer of 1916. The first customer was H.C. Brooks. In 1919, the store advertised that a gentleman could get a hair cut for 40 cents and a shave for 20 cents. The name was later changed to Paradise Barber Shop.
Hutch-Wallin Florist was located at 105 East Main Street. Formerly named the Magic City Floral Gardens, the shop was owned by Dr. Will Hutchins. Ruth Hutchins Williams, daughter of Dr. Hutchins, is seen below in front of the floral display coolers inside the shop. The name of the business, Hutch-Wallin, was derived from the boyhood nickname of Dr. Hutchins, “Hutch” and his wife’s maiden name, Wallin.
George L. Carter, most known for his building of the Clinchfield Railroad, was instrumental in bringing the railroad to Kingsport and laying the groundwork for modern Kingsport. Carter was also one of the first to envision a new industrial community at Kingsport. Facing financial concerns, Carter had to seek financial assistance and backers to complete the railroad. John B. Dennis, of New York, entered into the picture and became in many ways the financier of Kingsport. Dennis and other northern investors met in 1905. From left to right: George L. Carter, Isaac T. Mann, George Kent, John B. Dennis, William Ritter, Norman Ream, Thomas Ryan, James Blair, Henry Ray Dennis, unknown, and James Hamill.